Monday, May 16, 2005

Hello, it's me! Remember me? You know from the other place...


I have frequented a café near my house for the last 4 years. I love it, it’s my favourite and the coffee is second to none. The whole time I’ve been going there the staff has always had the same core crew.

Today I went to my favourite sandwich place that’s close to work for lunch and lo and behold one of the ‘core crew’ was in there making sandwiches and serving people.

Before I continue, here are some important points:
1. My fave café isn’t open on Monday’s – so she’s within her rights to be working somewhere else
2. The ‘core crew’ are a little… how can I put this politely?... a little ‘left of centre’. Ok, they’re down right kooky, just like the Adams family, but with coffee and Lebanese food.
3. I ate at the café yesterday and interacted numerous times with said staff member.
4. She has, more than once, complimented me on my fine choice of outfit.*

Awkwardly it was my turn to be served and ‘she-of-the-café was free. I greeted her with a warm “Hi!” and was met with that look of recognition shrouded by an uncomfortable I’m-going-to-pretend-i-don’t-know-you-let’s-just-get-this-over-and-done-with look.

She made my sandwich post haste and with minimal eye contact. By this time I was beginning to feel a little “less-special”. My café person pretended not to know me! I mean, sure we weren’t at the place where we normally interact, but surely you’re allowed to interact other places. The guy that makes the coffee always says hello to me when I see him down the street. But nuthin’. She gave me nuthin’.

She thrust my slapped together sandwich at me and before I could make a clever quip about Moonlighting, had taken my exact change and moved onto the next customer.

The worst bit is now it’s going to be weird when I go into my café next weekend. Is it so difficult to give a little hello and throw a bit of banter about? No, I think not. This shall not deter me from my café however, in fact next time I go to my café I may just peck her on the cheek and slap her ass like we’ve been friends forevs. Heh heh heh.



*this point was more so you all know I can be a smart dresser.

6 Comments:

Blogger fluffy said...

That's pretty weird*. Maybe she didn't want to get found out at the other place and she thought you might blow her cover. Seems like she could have handled it better though eh? Like said you were her sister or something.

Recommend: continuing to frequent both places and winking conspiratorially, at everyone.


* Not the bit about you being a snappy dresser.

7:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sug
i told you they were crazy at da flavaflav, no freaken exeptions, AND especially ones who can't get enough of the 'calamari' from a certain la lucc...they say it's great when we all know it sux hairy balls, man. no good.

afar

ps you dont need to tell us that you're a snappy dresser
pps i want pics of the not-so-new hair, man
ppps i have a rendezvous with my internet 100% dream boy in a couple of weeks...!!! hehehe, oh yes.

7:31 am  
Blogger la nadine said...

"my fave café isn’t open on monday’s – so she’s within her rights to be working somewhere else."

sug, i don't work on wednesdays. am i well within my rights to go to uni instead?

p.s. perhaps she doesn't want either place to know she is working 2 jobs, hence her reaction...

1:36 pm  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

la nadine, no rules apply to you. go ahead and be at uni on wednesday's. but thanks for asking.

1:55 pm  
Blogger problematic said...

When you go into her 'usual' place of work. Wink at her. Imply with the wink that you both share a secret. It will only tie you closer together. And if she ever fucks with you ...

3:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

remember your blog on toby the rabbit?
i found this-
http://www.killtoby.com/index.asp

hahahah!
afar

6:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home