Thursday, March 03, 2005

Martha, Martha, Martha

I’ve seen the devil and her name is Martha.



What is with Martha Stewart? You remember her right? She was banged up in jail for pulling a swifty with some of her many millions of dollars. I’m not going to pretend to know all the ins and outs because I’m not a great follower of this story. However this article piqued my interest. It’s a wonderful example how PR and advertising can rot your brain.

A few things disturb me about this:

1. Apparently she’s flourished in jail. In fact, I’m even considering muckin’ about with the share market for my own personal gain so that I can get in there and get some perspective on life, loose 20 pounds and teach my fellow inmates on the pleasures of decoupage. Just think how pretty those bars could look with a lovely floral motif.
2. Martha has 2 up and coming shows upon her release. Yeah. Two. One in the style of Donald Trumps - The Apprentice. Do people really want to be a jailbird’s protégé? Well, yes it seems so. One woman interviewed for the article/propaganda piece had waited outside the jail since 5 am to audition. Scary much?
3. A character from Desperate Housewives has actually been modelled on Martha. The little conspiracy theory part of my brain is saying “Hmmm, I wonder if this is a little ploy by the TV big wigs to try and win Martha back into our homes?” Surely they’re not that sneaky though (… that was me being snide).

Annnyway, she’ll be out soon and fortunately here in Aus we won’t see much of her apart from the initial media frenzy.

The mind still boggles though how fucked up some stuff is.

4 Comments:

Blogger kranki said...

Martha is going to be larger than ever. She's savvy. Her biography is interesting.

10:39 pm  
Blogger Ukulele said...

Why would any one want to be an Apprenitice of Martha Stewart? Apparently she is a notorious cunt to all her staff and fires on whim.

8:51 am  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

kranki - biography eh? is she as wholesome as she makes out? any dirth underbelly?

ukulele - i loooove that you just called martha a notorious cunt. she's like the US's version of donna hay.

9:06 am  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

dirth? yeah i just got up.... dirty underbelly, dirty

9:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home