Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Enough of the bitching and moaning. I’m going to talk about pizza



I’ve had a long standing love affair with pizza that started, as it does for many of us, in my hormone driven teenaged years. It’s what all the kids on Degrassi High were eating – so it seemed good enough for me.

Growing up in a rural “city” (it was the Local Shire’s idea to call it a city because technically after 15 000 people wither in there it’s a city) we did not have an extravagant array of plush pizza options. Luckily for me my Mum is good at the cooking.

My friends thought I was a little kooky digging out a slice of cold pizza with home made sauce, prosciutto, goats cheese and basil on it. “But where’s the processed to shit meat? And the cheese! There’s only bits there and there… why isn’t it over all of the pizza?”

Fools.

To further prove to you that I am indeed a fan of the pizza. How’s this…

When I was 14 I went travelling in Europe with my parents (yes, I’m spoilt and no I didn’t appreciate it at the time… because I’m spoilt alright). We travelled the length of Italy. My challenge (which I chose to accept) was to eat pizza from top to bottom.

Thin bases morphed into thick spongy bases. The sauce turned from a focus ingredient, to a mere smear. More toppings were introduced to thicker bases. Different meats were used. No meats were used. Sometimes you’d only get the choice of ‘pizza’ (because Mama knew the best pizza and “there’sa noa pointa makin anya morea”), sometimes there would be pages and pages to decided from.

The best pizza I ever, ever ate came from a little restaurant in Rome. We’d stepped straight off the plane. I was tired. Things were strange. I felt like the worlds biggest loser because I was hanging with my family in my totally inappropriate Australian clothes.

We were fucking starving, but my Dad wanted something authentic, so we wondered aimlessly for an “authentic” Italian hole-in-the-wall restaurante We found one.

OMG. I’ve never food isn’t meant to taste this good.

It was so thin. The sauce was everything. It was a crimsony, garlicy, cheesey wonderland. There were sheer pieces of prosciutto liberally strewn over the top. And that was it.

So you know hot the most cliché phrase in food ever is “melt in your mouth”. Yeah well… this actually dissolved before it hit your mouth and then the taste would magically tickle you everywhere.

Fuck. Me. How good is pizza.

8 Comments:

Blogger ms fits said...

Fuck. Me. How good is it to have you back.


G-blogging Friday night?

Do you love my young way with words?

6:01 pm  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

you are like so totally 'hip' and 'with' the kid speak fits. fully sick.

g-blogin'? oh my yes. mad with excitement.

8:32 am  
Blogger fluffy said...

G-Blog and Special Sauce.

I had pizza last night but unfortunately it was the sort you'd expect from Curly Joe's, not even i Carusi standard let alone authentica a'la Roma. Bah now I want pizza for breakfast. Hope to see you tomorrow night miss S&S.

8:35 am  
Blogger la nadine said...

pizza. never really got the hype. sorry kids.

9:52 am  
Blogger Lee Lee said...

I so want that pizza right now.

“I felt like the worlds biggest loser because I was hanging with my family in my totally inappropriate Australian clothes.” Was it Ken Done or Jenny Kee? Did it have Koalas on it?

10:06 am  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

i was going through my 'surf wear' look. the romans were not.

la nadine: when you come back i will cooka you the pizza. you'll get it then.

11:05 am  
Blogger la nadine said...

i'll be back in a few weeks! pizza me up with your love, baby!

12:40 pm  
Blogger Jordans Nike said...

Cheap jordans, wholesale jordan shoes, nike free, cheap nike shoes, cheap jordan, cheap jordans, wholesale jordan shoes for sale, ugg, ugg australia, air jordan shoes, Bags Louis Vuitton, Cheap LV Handbags, Discount LV Handbags, cheap jordan shoes, Cheap Nike jordan shoes, cheap nike jordan shoes, uggs outlet, cheap nike free, discount nike jordans, jordan shoes for cheap, wholesale jordan shoes, ugg soldes, cheap nike free run, cheap jordans, Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags, ugg pas cher, ugg boots, cheap nike air max, Discount Louis Vuitton, uggs on sale

3:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home