Thursday, November 18, 2004

What ever happened to The Food?

Ahem. Didn’t I start this whole blog thing so that I could show the world my cooking prowess and astounding knowledge of food? Yeah, so where is all this tummy goodness?

Ashamedly I’ve let my ego get the better of me. It’s true. Sometimes I do this.

So back to more important things.

Why does your wee smell funky when you eat asparagus?

Last night I picked up some asparagus, prosciutto and some Melbourne Bitter on the way home. Because I was dumped from Wednesday Corner Night. Whatever. A lovely Penne ensued (sans the beer, I just drank that).

Because asparagus is so seasonal I always forget its hidden powers. It’s fun when it happens though. What? It is fun.

So here’s the scoop.

The funky smell doesn’t happen to everyone. But is ok. The freaks are the one’s that don’t have the funk. It’s at about a 92% strike rate.

It’s all got to do with sulphur. Who’s cracked a rotten egg? Been to the steaming cesspools in Roturoa, NZ? That’s sulphur, baby. The flavourist’s mortal enemy.

(I was once doing sampling for an ingredient company and got a sulphur compound on my lab coat. A drop mind you. I smelt like a bum for the next 3 days. Thanks sulphur.)

So sulphur smells.

There are 3 major stanky contributors to the wee stench. 2 of these are S-methylthioacrylate and S-methyl-3-(methylthio)thiopropionate. (All I really wanted to prove about including those is that I know about chemicals and junk. Give the girl 10 points. But hey… who was the person that identified these compounds? That’s one thesis project I would be less than excited about. Who am I to talk though I did my thesis on a mayonnaise style sauce.)

These compounds are present in both the asparagus and the wee. Though either in different forms, or bound tighter in the vegetable bit. I mean they’ve got to be different because AS IF you’d eat something that smelt like asparagus-wee.

So… they’re moving through the whole digestion bit where everything turns into broken down bits of gunk or stuff that your body hates and needs to get rid of. You know who wants stuff that the body hates? The kidneys. They’re mad for it. But the kidneys are fickle folk and they get rid of stuff in a hurry. And they get rid of it through… wee. Hooray! We’ve reached the bowl. We know what happens here. Pee-eww.

Who else feels smarter?

Now here are some weird pics I found on Asparagus.



Ahhh.... probably not.


Oh, ah. Crafty.



Nice, a folk project called "Asparagus". Sweet hat.



6 Comments:

Blogger daniel said...

Move over Dr Karl, we have a new scientist in the house.

I've always been curious about the asparagus / smelly wee connection. Thankyou for the insight.

11:09 am  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

oh... stop it. *waves off compliment coyly*.

yes, i tackle all the important questions here. i thought of that one last night on the way home and diarised it. it was that important.

meredith eh? i have a bloggy plan

11:33 am  
Blogger daniel said...

mmm... bloggy plans...

4:51 pm  
Blogger knifey said...

Roturoa = Rotorua.
Spelling Nazi, on patrol.

Can you investigate the 'cum tastes sweeter after pineapple juice' phenomenon?

I have so many bar girls hitting on me because that's all I order, i want to know whether it's true or not.
I don't think it is, because I taste more like mild curry.

I really shouldn't have said that, should I?

2:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a nice blog, thanks I enjoyed it,
I've got one aboutasparagus recipe
asparagus recipe

2:45 am  
Blogger Jordans Nike said...

Cheap jordans, wholesale jordan shoes, nike free, cheap nike shoes, cheap jordan, cheap jordans, wholesale jordan shoes for sale, ugg, ugg australia, air jordan shoes, Bags Louis Vuitton, Cheap LV Handbags, Discount LV Handbags, cheap jordan shoes, Cheap Nike jordan shoes, cheap nike jordan shoes, uggs outlet, cheap nike free, discount nike jordans, jordan shoes for cheap, wholesale jordan shoes, ugg soldes, cheap nike free run, cheap jordans, Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags, ugg pas cher, ugg boots, cheap nike air max, Discount Louis Vuitton, uggs on sale

3:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home