Friday, November 19, 2004

ducking delicious

There are 2 things in life that make me feel all tingly inside when it comes to eating out.

1. the quest to find the skankiest restaurant, where you pay pitons for the worlds best food. A diamond in the rough, as it were.
2. when the aforementioned diamond serves Peking Duck.

Last night, alongside my fellow restaurant hunter, Glenn, we uncovered the restaurant equivalent to The Star of Africa.

Kudos goes out to my Dad who steered us in the direction. His method of choosing good Asian fare is by the amount of black hair there is sitting down shovelling rice down. Extra points are awarded if there are little old pruney Asian women in there. Here there were both.

We strolled boldly passed at least 2 groups of people on the street waiting to be seated, assuming we’d be joining them soon, but got straight in. Nice. We sat on your typical Naughties version of a Formica table. Right in front of the kitchen door, which is where every table is in these types of establishments.

I looked at my fellow hunter and found the same look in his eye that was in mine.
“I might cry.” I said. He agreed. This was going to be good.

The walls were lined with a spattering of brightly coloured paper with either English or Chinese characters. Prices were crossed out half the time, but not much exceeded $20. There was seafood like you wouldn’t believe, crab, scallops, every fish (ever), lobster, pippis, squid… you name it. Every now and then a waiter would come out carrying a net with a shiney fish flapppin’ around or a squirmy lobster and let whoever was going to chow down on it have a squiz.

Then there were your lesser known dishes: frogs legs, weird offal… you know.

Being self-proclaimed aficionados in the world of crispy fried squid with salt and chilli, we couldn’t go past it. Obviously there was duck. Peking, with the pancake and the spring onion and the cucumber and the plum sauce… oh my god. Oh, and scallops with ginger for entrée.

If you’ve ever had crispy squid you know it’s a world of delight. But not like this. It was not only crispy - the meat was actually juicy. Like they’d been force feeding the squid before they chopped them up for us. My mouth is watering again.

The duck was so succulent and plump and sweet and delicious and I don’t think I can write about this much longer. It’s causing me actual physical pain not being there.

All this plus wine and chat makes for a ducking great evening. And no, I’m not mentioning the name. I’m selfish like that.

15 Comments:

Blogger Lee Lee said...

You know what? I’ve never, ever eaten duck in my life! I’m an adventurer when it comes to food and I want to, but somehow have never eaten it. I am now saving my first ever Duck eating experience to a place a Chinese friend told me about in Collingwood.

3:35 pm  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

ah yes that would be the Old Kingdom. you're starting at the top there lee lee.

3 courses of duck. sweet. take note: you must pre-order the duck. don't be caught.

3:51 pm  
Blogger daniel said...

Duck is divine if done right. Delicious sweet skin. Scrumptious fatty bits. Tender tasty flesh off the bone. I always tend to order the duck if i'm in a classy restaurant.

The duck at Billy Kwong in Sydney is very good.

3:56 pm  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

boud are you trying to make me fall deeply in love with you?

4:33 pm  
Blogger Mallrat said...

Sounds like you're hanging out for a duck.

8:35 pm  
Blogger ms fits said...

If you don't tell me where that place is I will have to kill you.


Daniel Boud and La Nadine and I ate the duck at Billy Kwong's together and it was so good we all had to reach out and hold hands.

4:15 pm  
Blogger Lee Lee said...

Old Kingdom! That is the place. My Chinese buddy Arthur swears that it is the best! He also swears that it is heart attack inducing goodness!

Is this the place you are referring to Sugar?

5:06 pm  
Blogger portek said...

mmmmmm... duck!

I have a friend who says peking duck is better than sex. Sometimes he's not far wrong. To think I didn't discover the wonder of (eating) duck till late in my teens cos I had a pet called 'ping' as a child.

I'm all hungry now!

12:42 am  
Blogger knifey said...

"I have a friend who says peking duck is better than sex".

I have a friend who had sex with a duck.
So there.

2:05 am  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

sorry team, Old Kingdom is not what i was refering to. although very worthy of the duck hype.

mine is on victoria st. i don't think that's giving anything away.

we'll all go out there one night and duck together

8:42 am  
Blogger portek said...

I'd need to duck down to melbourne first

12:05 pm  
Blogger Mallrat said...

Was it a rubber duck, Knifey?

12:38 pm  
Blogger knifey said...

Mallrat- it was when he'd finished with it.
I never knew they could grow so big!

Peking Duck is the reason I walked away from vegetarianism after 8 years.

I was on a Singapore Airlines flight to Cairo, and I had specifically ordered the veg mean 9 months earlier when I had paid for the flight. But there were none.

And I smelled what everyone else was eating, and totally caved. Omigod it was good.

So good I ate 3.

1:41 pm  
Blogger sugar and spice said...

ahhh... the power of the duck got you knifey. it's an ah-some power. even, apparantly, when aeroplane food.

1:57 pm  
Blogger Jordans Nike said...

Cheap jordans, wholesale jordan shoes, nike free, cheap nike shoes, cheap jordan, cheap jordans, wholesale jordan shoes for sale, ugg, ugg australia, air jordan shoes, Bags Louis Vuitton, Cheap LV Handbags, Discount LV Handbags, cheap jordan shoes, Cheap Nike jordan shoes, cheap nike jordan shoes, uggs outlet, cheap nike free, discount nike jordans, jordan shoes for cheap, wholesale jordan shoes, ugg soldes, cheap nike free run, cheap jordans, Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags, ugg pas cher, ugg boots, cheap nike air max, Discount Louis Vuitton, uggs on sale

3:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home